In response to the coronavirus' negative economic impact on the restaurant industry, a coalition of restaurants including Panera Bread, Noodles & Company, Veggie Grill, El Torito, Jason's Deli, The Habit Burger Grill, Lemonade, Modern Market and Chevys Fresh Mex is asking Americans to participate Tuesday in The Great American Takeout.
"During The Great American Takeout, people are encouraged to order at least one delivery or pick-up meal to show support for the struggling restaurant community," Sarah Grover, interim CMO for Veggie Grill and brand marketing consultant exec helping to spread the word, said in an interview with FastCasual.
The coronavirus poses an existential threat to a sector of the economy that employs more than 15 million Americans, Grover said.
As dine-in meals are no longer being served at most restaurants, delivery and pick-up are the only ways to support these struggling businesses.
"This is no longer about the survival of individual restaurants," Russ Bendel, CEO of The Habit Burger Grill, said in a press release. "It's about the future of our industry. And time has run out. Together, we must act to support each other and our communities in unprecedented ways."
Grover said #TheGreatAmericanTakeout was just a catalyst to encourage everyone to order online and get take-out or delivery to make a difference to many hardworking people in this country.
"And it is a great time to take advantage of the amazing deals and incentives that are offered right now to help everyone through this difficult and unprecedented time," she said.
Restaurants can join by adding their information to the list here and asking customers to share via social media and email lists.
To participate in The Great American Takeout, customers are being asked to:
- Post on social media in advance of the event, encouraging friends and followers to take part in #thegreatamericantakeout. Assets are available for download here.
- Engage friends, family and colleagues to support local restaurants by ordering takeout meals.
- Order delivery or pick-up for at least one meal on March 24, sharing photos on social media tagged with #thegreatamericantakeout.
After The Great American Takeout, Americans are encouraged to continue supporting local restaurants and industry employees by ordering takeout regularly throughout the weeks and months ahead.
To make it even easier to spread the word, Grover suggested that brands and customers could share a meaningful memory from a favorite restaurant, food photography of a meal you're craving, or one of these simple reminders:
- America's restaurants need our help! Join #thegreatamericantakeout on 3/24 and order delivery or takeout to help save our nation's struggling restaurants.
- I'm committing to eat at least one delivery/takeout meal on 3/24 to help save our nation's struggling restaurants. RT if you're in! (if on IG, “Share this to your story”) #thegreatamericantakeout
- Get a good meal for a great cause. Join me in eating takeout or delivery on 3/24 to help save our nation's restaurants! Tell me what you'll be ordering for #thegreatamericantakeout.
America's restaurants need our help!
The coronavirus poses a significant threat to the future of an industry that employs more than 15 million Americans. That's why a coalition of restaurants is asking for help.
On March 24, we're asking everyone in America to show their support for the restaurant industry by joining #TheGreatAmericanTakeout and eating at least one delivery or pick-up meal.
Participating restaurants include: Veggie Grill, Chicken Salad Chick, Blaze Pizza, Panera Bread, BJ's Restaurants and Brewhouse, Noodles & Company, Outback, El Torito, Jason's Deli, The Habit Burger Grill, The Cheesecake Factory, Lemonade, Modern Market, The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf®, Tocaya Organica, Torchy's Tacos, Chevys Fresh Mex, Lucille's Smokehouse Bar-B-Que, Del Taco, Primanti Brothers, Tropical Smoothie Cafe, California Pizza Kitchen, Shari's Restaurants, Beefsteak, Which Wich Superior Sandwiches, ZaLat Pizza, Sharky's Woodfired Mexican Grill, California Tortilla, Qdoba Mexican Eats, Curry Up Now, Urbane Café, Paris Baguette, IHOP, Applebee's, Dickeys Barbecue Pit, Mountain Mike's Pizza, Coco's Restaurant & Bakery, Carrow's Restaurants, Black Bear Diner, Good Times Burgers, Bad Daddy's Burger Bar, Miguel's Restaurant & Miguel's Jr., and Wild Wing Cafe
Please join me in eating takeout or delivery on 3/24 and sharing to your social channels, tagged with #thegreatamericantakeout! Can I count you in?
More ways to help
Want to do more?
- Change your profile picture to The Great American Takeout logo.
- Hold a Twitter sweepstakes and give away a restaurant gift card to a follower who retweets or replies to your tweet about #thegreatamericantakeout.
- Use Instagram Live to talk to your followers about The Great American Takeout and what restaurants mean to you.
Read more about the coronavirus effect on the restaurant industry.
Topics: Coronavirus / COVID-19