Visitation and hotels revenue during the months of January, February and March have been the highest ever recorded for the destination, with March 2018 being the best month in the history of Jacksonville’s tourism industry.
The data collected by STR of key Jacksonville Tourism indicators for the first quarter of 2018 is truly outstanding:
- Total Hotel Revenue collected from January, February and March 2018 is up more than $12 million from the first quarter of 2017.
- Hotel Average Daily Rate ADR (a measure linked to demand) has increased by $5 more than in the same period in 2017. The current average hotel rate in the county is $96.39.
- Hotel Occupancy is up about 3.5%. That is about 72,000 more rooms sold between January-March of 2018 compared to the same dates in 2017.
Even more relevant, is that March is the best month ever recorded for the local hotel and tourism industry, beating all previous records in Jacksonville, including those set during Super Bowl XXXIX.
- March 2018 Occupancy: 82.2% of 18,000 rooms available nightly in the county. That is 2.4% more than in 2017. That’s even higher than February 2005 when the Super Bowl was in Jacksonville. That Occupancy level was 81.1% and had been the highest for the city until now.
- Total Hotel Revenue collected in March was $45.7M, that’s 7.9% more than the same month in 2017. A record for Duval County.
- March 2018 saw the highest amount of Rooms Sold ever in the county. Over 462,000 in one single month.
“These remarkable numbers represent a reality that many in Jacksonville are not aware of, tourism is a vital economic engine for our city. Visitors to Jacksonville support an industry that generates $3.2 billion annually, one of the largest sectors in our economy employing more than 50,000 workers,” said Bill Prescott, Chair of Visit Jacksonville’s Board.
March is now the 53-straight month of growth for Jacksonville’s key tourism indicators.
“We are thrilled for the growth! These numbers are the direct result of a massive growth in awareness for our destination, both in the leisure and meetings markets due to targeted marketing and advertising campaigns inviting new audiences to experience Jacksonville,” said Katie Mitura, VP of Marketing and Communications for Visit Jacksonville. “We have seen spikes in visitation from Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, New York and the Southeast. And we have hosted more than 52 Meetings and Conventions so far in 2018 with hundreds more to come this year. We are reenergized by these growing numbers this first quarter and look forward to continuing the historic growth during the summer season!”
About Visit Jacksonville
Visit Jacksonville is a Destination Marketing Organization accredited by Destinations International and contracted by the Duval County Tourist Development Council (TDC) since 1996 to champion the growth of leisure and business tourism in Jacksonville. As a direct result of Visit Jacksonville’s efforts, the city hosts more than 400 meetings and conventions annually, Lonely Planet ranked it on its list of the worlds’ “10 Best Value Destinations for 2018,” the only U.S. city to make the list, and Expedia named it one of “21 Supercool U.S. Cities in 2017.” For a closer look at all there is to see and do in Jacksonville, go to www.VisitJacksonville.com.
About STR, Inc.
STR, Inc., the leading provider of information services to the hotel industry, is expanding the company’s
operations into new industry verticals, including the self-storage market. In the hotel industry, the company has a 30-year track record and currently offers the most robust and comprehensive database covering more than 160,000 hotels worldwide, which is used to provide competitive benchmarking, aggregated market segment data, industry forecasts and construction pipeline reports. For more information, visit www.str.com.
(904) 421- 9169